Friday, September 30, 2022

Science teacher shares passion for preserving our environment and teaching





By Jose Garibay Cervantes


Ms. Krantz teaches science at Waldo and she also coaches volleyball. I asked her some questions about teaching and other things from her life.


Q: How old are you?


A: I am 31 years old.


Q: Why did you get into teaching science?


A:  I liked it a lot as a kid and in high school my 9th grade biology teacher told me I probably wasn’t cut out for science.  She implied it would be too hard for me.  I really wanted to prove her wrong.  So I studied chemistry, biology, and environmental education in undergrad and went on to work in salmon habitat restoration.   I collected data, worked with volunteers, took kids on field trips, dissected salmon, and worked on multimillion dollar projects to restore coastlines and local streams for salmon.


Q: What is your favorite beverage?


A: My favorite drink is tea – cold, hot, sweetened, unsweetened. I like it all.


Q: What is your favorite food?


A: Breakfast is my favorite meal and breakfast tacos are maybe my number one, but I change my mind all the time.


Q: Do you have any kids?


A: I do not have any kids, but I do have a very cute dog named Rio. He is two years old and is an Australian Shepherd / border collie mix – we do a lot of hiking, backpacking, and fishing together.


Q: Do you have a husband or boyfriend?


A: I have a partner who I have been with for 6 years.  His name is Troy and he works as a Fish Biologist for the National Park Service. 


Q: What interests you most about teaching science?


A: I always loved to go camping with my family and I would collect frogs and ask questions and really liked learning new things about the natural world. Discovery!  I want other people to care about our natural environment as much as I do and I think that starts with education! Students are the future and I want them to build a future with clean water, fresh air, and lots of wildlife!





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mustangs Mirror has a new website!

 Because of school district filtering policies, The Mustangs Mirror now has a new website. You can find us at  https://sites.google.com/salk...