Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Between art and volleyball, Ms. Bury keeps busy at Waldo

 


By Jose Cervantes Garibay

Q: What made you an art teacher?

A: I loved art since I was very young and studied it in college.  When I decided to become a teacher, I studied how to teach art, but it was very hard to get teaching jobs at the time, so I also studied language arts instruction and ELD, as well as upper elementary grades just in case.  I started at Waldo teaching language arts but got to move to art in my 2nd year when the current art teacher went to North. I never thought I could get my dream job so soon, but I am so thankful I did.  It is an amazing subject to teach, especially at Waldo where kids are so talented and creative.

Q: What inspired you to play volleyball?

A: My mom, Mrs. Bury-Roller, signed me up in 6th grade to help me make friends. It didn’t work. However, in high school, volleyball was how I met my best friend, so I guess it worked eventually.  After high school, I didn’t play again for many years until a Waldo staff-student game. The head coach at the time saw how I played and said I could be a great coach.  When a coaching slot opened up, I tried it out, and had a lot of fun! You never know when stuff you try in middle school will come back to your life. Volleyball is a really fun sport to play and in Trimester 3, Volleyball Club will be running and anyone can play and have a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mustangs Mirror has a new website!

 Because of school district filtering policies, The Mustangs Mirror now has a new website. You can find us at  https://sites.google.com/salk...