Thursday, October 6, 2022

Cross Country coach encourages students to never stop believing

 

Editor’s Note: When he’s not busy preparing for science classes, Mr. VanWyngarden likes to stretch his legs with other cross country runners and prepare to hit the track. Reporter Leslie Barocio Hernandez checked in with him to learn more about his interests.

By Leslie Barocio Hernandez

Question: What inspired you to be a cross country coach?

Answer: I'm already a long distance runner, and I wanted to share my enthusiasm with other runners.

Question: Do you teach anything other than Cross Country?

Answer: I also teach science classes.


Question: If you weren't a teacher or coach, what would you be?

Answer: I've been a yoga teacher before, also had my own business as a coffee roaster, and I also was a stay at home dad.


Question: Do you prefer teaching cross country or science?

Answer: I like of them for different reasons.


Question: As a teacher, what advice would you give to incoming 6th, 7th or 8th graders?

Answer: Feel comfortable and confident. Be yourself and try your hardest. Never stop believing in yourself. Sometimes things that are new and seem extra hard, but if you keep trying eventually those things start to get easy.





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mustangs Mirror has a new website!

 Because of school district filtering policies, The Mustangs Mirror now has a new website. You can find us at  https://sites.google.com/salk...