Sunday, October 2, 2022

Counselor discusses importance of Hispanic Heritage Month

 

By Jennifer Hernandez Cruz


Editor’s note: According to the U.S. Department of Education, “Hispanic Heritage Month (HHM) takes place September 15 to October 15 every year as a time to recognize and celebrate the many contributions, diverse cultures, and extensive histories of the American Latino community.

Beginning in 1968, Hispanic Heritage Month was originally observed as Hispanic Heritage Week, but it was later extended to a month in 1988. Since then, HHM has been celebrated nationwide through festivals, art shows, conferences, community gatherings, and much more. 

The month also celebrates the independence days of several Latin American countries, including: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua on September 15th, Mexico on September 16th, and Chile on September 18th. They also include holidays that recognize Hispanic contributions such as Virgin Islands-Puerto Rico Friendship Day that is celebrated in the U.S. Virgin Islands.”

Staff at Waldo Middle School, including Counselor Lupe Mora, created a vivid display for our school to recognize and honor the contributions and culture of Hispanic people. Reporter Jennifer Hernandez Cruz caught up with Mrs. Mora to find out more.


Question: What part of Mexico are you from?

Answer: I am from the town of San Nicolás in Michoacán.


Question: What made you decide to help create this display for Hispanic Heritage Month?

Answer: I wanted people to know more about Mexico and to instill a deeper respect for our culture.


Question: Do you like working at Waldo?

Answer: I love working at Waldo!


Question: What is your favorite part of your job?

Answer: I like talking to students and listening to them. A lot of people do not have anyone to talk to.


Question: What is your dream job?

Answer: My dream job is to work for S.A.S.A.

After the interview, Mrs. Mora added this statement regarding her work:

I have a great passion for my job as a school counselor! I love working with students and parents. I want to give them the support I did not have growing up in Los Angeles. It took me a while to figure out what my passion was (what I really wanted to do). My Bachelors Degree is in Business Administration and Accounting but when I move to Oregon in 2006, soon after I  was hired with the Salem Keizer School District. I worked for a few years very close to some amazing and dedicated school counselors. After much thinking and encouragement, I decided to go back to school and pursue my Masters in School Counseling. I don’t regret it a tiny bit. Being a school counselor was exactly what my heart was looking for and being at Waldo makes it even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mustangs Mirror has a new website!

 Because of school district filtering policies, The Mustangs Mirror now has a new website. You can find us at  https://sites.google.com/salk...